iGadget Release NotesVersion 7.9
Released: August 7, 2015
- Updated to fix possible error when accessing track list on iPod touch, iPhones and iPads.
Released: March 24, 2015
- Updated to fix possible issue that could cause a copied song to repeat a few seconds of a random part of the song at the end of the song.
Released: February 6, 2015
- Updated to work with iTunes 12.1.
Released: December 23, 2014
- Updated the song transfer function to fix a possible problem when setting some track meta data (track title, album name, artist name, user rating, etc) after adding a track to iTunes. We found that in rare cases this track meta data wasn't getting properly set. This release resolves the issue.
Released: September 4, 2014
- Updated to fix possible error messages when reading song list from devices running iOS 8 or later.
Released: May 2, 2014
- Update to fix possible error messages when reading song list from devices running iOS 7.1.1 or later.
Released: November 8, 2013
- Updated to fix possible errors when accessing song data from devices when running iTunes 11.1.3 and later.
Released: April 30, 2013
- Additional updates to the playlist transfer plugin to resolve errors some people experienced when transferring playlists.
Released: March 18, 2013
- Updated the playlist transfer plugin to help resolve errors some people experienced when transferring playlists.
Released: January 16, 2013
- Updated Horoscope and Movie Showtime plugins. The source sites for these plugins changed their format so these plugins have been updated to take the changes into account. Prior versions could cause the program to hang when trying to access the sites.
- Removed the Driving Directions plugin. The source site changed and we can no longer access the driving directions from the program. So, this plugin will no longer be available. However, it is possible that a driving directions plugin could be added back in with a future update if we find a source site we can access.
Released: December 20, 2012
- Updated to work better with Windows 8 (no longer have to install .NET Framework 3.5).
Released: September 21, 2012
- Updated to fix error when used with iOS 6 devices.
Released: May 9, 2012
- Added "Super Rescue Playlist" feature. This shows up as another playlist that contains the same list of tracks as the device itself shows. This means that even if iTunes no longer sees everything on the device, there is still a very good chance that you'll be able to recover all your songs from the device in any case. This feature is available with any device running iOS 5 or later (iPhones, iPads and iPod touches).
Released: April 3, 2012
- Updated to fix a few minor bugs.
Released: October 18, 2011
- Updated to resolve possible errors that could occur when transferring ringtones from an iPhone to iTunes.
Released: October 13, 2011
- Updated to work with devices running iOS 5.
Released: September 30, 2011
- Improved performance
Released: April 25, 2011
- Added instructions on how to enable iPod "disk use".
Released: April 22, 2011
- Added support for playlist folders. In the past when transferring playlists, playlist folders would transfer over simply as a large playlist. With this version, playlist folders will be restored as playlist folders in iTunes.
Released: January 26, 2011
- Updated Canadian Movies plugin to take into account source site changes.
Released: November 15, 2010
- Updated to resolve crash caused by changes in iTunes 10.1.
- Fixed bug which would cause iGadget to not close when clicking the "Eject iPod and Exit" item from the iGadget tray icon.
Released: March 31, 2010
- Updated to detect iPod touch and iPhone devices when using iTunes 9.1.
Released: March 15, 2010
- Updated Canadian Movies plugin to take into account source site changes.
Released: November 9, 2009
- Removed need to "Run as Administrator" to detect some iPods.
Released: October 22, 2009
- Updated to fix problem that could cause some iPhones to not be detected correctly.
Released: September 28, 2009
- Updated the USA Movie Showtime plugin to work with new source site design.
Released: September 22, 2009
- Updated to work with iTunes 9. In prior versions, iPhones and iPod touch devices would cause the application to generate errors if iTunes 9 was installed.
- Updated to work with the new iPod nano 5G (the one with the video camera).
Released: September 10, 2009
- We have changed the licensing system used by the application with this release. Old style license keys will still work but you may have to place a check in the checkbox on the license screen to use your old style license if you ever need to reinstall.
- The "Check for Updates" function off the Help menu now works differently. Selecting this now opens a web page on the Purple Ghost website which will provide the information regarding any available updates.
- Whenever the application starts, unless it is disabled, a window opens describing the possibility that iTunes could erase the contents of your iPod/iPhone under certain circumstances. In prior versions, this screen provided a way to have it automatically temporarily disable this function in iTunes in order to protect songs on the iPod from deletion by iTunes. The way this was accomplished didn't always work for every situation. Apple has recently added the ability to do the same thing but from within iTunes directly. So, this window now describes how to do this from iTunes itself. This should be more reliable than the way it was being done before.
Released: July 31, 2009
- This update provides support for jailbroken iPhones and iPod touches running the new 3.0 firmware.
- A new checkbox is available just above the music listing of the "Transfer Songs from iPod" plugin that, when checked, will only show the songs on the iPod that do not currently exist in the iTunes library.
- A new "Support" menu item has been added under the Help menu that has several options. These are there to make it easier if you need support and we need you to send us some information. There is no need to run any of these options unless requested to do so by Purple Ghost Software support.
Released: June 29, 2009
- With the release of the prior version to work with the new iPod touch and iPhone 3.0 firmware, a bug was introduced that could cause errors when used with iPhones and iPod touches running old versions of the firmware. This update fixes this bug.
Released: June 25, 2009
- Updated to work with iPhone/iPod touch 3.0 firmware. iTunes started storing song information on the iPod touch and iPhone differently with the release of the 3.0 iPhone and iPod touch firmware. This resulted in this application not seeing tracks added to devices running the 3.0 firmware. This release contains updates to work with this new format.
Released: June 12, 2009
- Updated to work with iTunes 8.2.
Released: March 19, 2009
- Updated driving directions plugin to fix issue which could cause the application to freeze when adding new driving directions.
Released: March 17, 2009
- Updated movie showtimes plugin to fix issue which could cause the application to apparently lock up when retrieving list of theaters for some zip codes.
Released: March 13, 2009
- Updated movie showtimes to work with site redesign
- Updated gas prices plugin to work with new site design
Released: January 8, 2009
- Updated the Gas Prices plugin to work with the new source site design.
Released: November 18, 2008
- Updated the Canadian movie show times plugin to work with the new source site design.
Released: September 9, 2008
- Updated to work with iTunes 8.
Released: June 25, 2008
- This version fixes the Horoscope plugin.
Released: May 28, 2008
- This version fixes the Gas Prices plugin which was no longer locating prices correctly.
Released: April 18, 2008
- This version has been updated to work better with non US-English versions of Windows. With prior releases, it could generate errors when trying to locate the file necessary to work with iPod touch and iPhone on non US-English Windows systems.
- This release allows it to work with jailbroken iPhones and iPod touches running 1.1.4 firmware. I would like to thank Lawrence Vanderpool for helping me figure this out. Thanks! :)
Released: March 14, 2008
- This version has been updated to support the new iTunes for 64-bit Windows Vista. Prior versions of iTunes were not compatible with Windows Vista 64-bit Edition.
Released: February 26, 2008
- The following fields are now also transferred with songs copied from an iPod to iTunes: start time, stop time, volume adjustment, remember playback position, and skip when shuffling.
Released: January 11, 2008
- Updated to work with jailbroken iPod touches and iPhones.
- The Playlist Transfer plugin has been updated and now includes the "all" playlist which includes all the songs on the iPod.
- The Driving Directions plugin has been updated to work with the new source site. The source site has been updated so the older versions no longer worked with it.
- The Eject button now displays the correct message when trying to eject an iPod touch or iPhone (these devices do not need to be ejected before disconnecting them from your computer).
Released: December 19, 2007
- Updated to go to correct web page when clicking the "buy" button within the program when using the trial version.
Released: November 8, 2007
- Updated to support the iPhone and iPod touch.
Released: July 5, 2007
- Apple changed things in iTunes 7.3 that caused iGadget to not see the songs on the iPod. This version has been updated to work with iTunes 7.3.
Released: June 15, 2007
- Updated the Canadian Movie Showtimes plugin to take into account a change in the source site.
Released: June 11, 2007
- A new plugin for "Gas Prices" has been added to this release. This plugin allows you to find the lowest gas prices within any United States zip code.
Released: May 30, 2007
- This version adds support for the Play Counts file on the iPod. If play counts, user ratings and last played dates were changed on the iPod since the last sync with iTunes, this information is stored on the iPood in a Play Counts file. This version of iGadget takes this information into account when transferring the songs from an iPod. Earlier versions would use the original information transferred to the iPod from iTunes during the prior sync.
Released: May 21, 2007
- This version updates the Canadian Movie Showtime plugin to account for a change in the source site.
Released: May 17, 2007
- This version updates the Driving Directions plugin to work with the newly formatted source site. Prior versions have been broken with the source site redesign. Anyone running an earlier version that uses the Driving Directions plugin will want to get this new version.
- This version also marks the end of the "About Your iPod" plugin as well as the Podcast plugin.
- The reason for ending the "About Your iPod" plugin is because since the release of iTunes 7, Apple has made it just too difficult to determine the iPod's model. Also, the information that was on this plugin is now all available right within iTunes itself so it was no longer adding any real value.
- The Podcast plugin was ended since Apple has added podcast support directly into iTunes. Since they have done that, the Podcast plugin in iGadget has not been updated since there really wasn't a need for it any longer. The podcast support in iTunes works well so we feel there is no need for this to be included in iGadget any longer.
Released: May 4, 2007
- This version fixes a bug that could cause it to not load plugins indicating a newer version of iGadget was required.
- This version also updates the Canadian movie showtime plugin to now work with the newly formatted website.
Released: March 19, 2007
- This version fixes a bug introduced in Version 3.2 that could cause errors when reading song lists from iPods using iTunes versions prior to version 7.1.
Released: March 16, 2007
- This version takes into account changes in iTunes 7.1 that could cause errors while reading the songs information from an iPod.
Released: February 5, 2007
- This version no longer requires that you restart iGadget after entering your license key to remove the trial limitations.
- This version also identifies the new color 2nd generation iPod shuffles.
Released: December 19, 2006
- This version fixes a bug in the Horoscope plugin that was introduced with version 3.0.
Released: December 18, 2006
- This version has been upgraded to use Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (previous version used Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1). This version is also fully Windows Vista compatible.
Released: November 21, 2006
- This version properly identifies more iPods as well as fixing a bug that would cause songs that didn't have a defined genre, artist or album not to be transferred to the playlists when using the Playlist Transfer plugin.
Released: October 23, 2006
- This version properly identifies more iPods including the new iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED
Released: October 2, 2006
- After the release of version 2.0.1 we discovered it would only work with iTunes 7. This version fixes that and it will now run with earlier versions of iTunes as well. For anyone that already purchased version 2.0.1, please download the free upgrade from the main iGadget page.
Released: October 2, 2006
- This is a major upgate to enable iGadget to properly work with the new iTunes 7 and the new iPods that Apple recently released (2nd generation iPod nanos and the new full sized iPods).
- Movie showtime plugin dates - In prior versions, the date list of the movie showtime plugins would not display correctly when the Preview pane was turned off. This has been fixed in this release.
- Horoscope plugin dates - In prior versions, the date list of the horoscope plugin did not display correctly when the Preview pane was turned off. This has been fixed in this release.
- Support for new iPods - Prior versions did not know about the new second generation iPod nanos or the updated fifth generation iPods.
- Support for iTunes 7 - With the release of iTunes 7, Apple has removed some information from the iPod that allowed iGadget to identify what type of iPod was connected. iGadget uses this information to display the correct image in the About Your iPod plugin as well as to determine the capabilities of the iPod. With the change to iTunes 7, it has made it more difficult to determine the iPod model. This version now uses a new method to determine the iPod model.
- Properly identifies the new 1GB iPod nano - Prior versions didn't know about the new 1GB iPod nano and thus reported them as the original 1G iPod.
- Check for Updates function - with prior versions, the Check for Updates function (from the Help menu) was only able to download updates to the plugins. With this version, updates to the main application as well as the plugins can now be downloaded and installed automatically.
Released: May 12, 2006
- We have changed the name of PodPlus to iGadget. It is the exact same application. The reason for the change is to better reflect the functionality of the product.
- Properly identify the new 1GB iPod nano - Prior versions didn't know about the new 1GB iPod nano and thus reported them as the original iPod.
- New podcast directory - This release uses a new podcast directory. The directory used in prior versions appears to have been discontinued.
Released: March 12, 2006
- The main change in this version is that I am now using a new licensing scheme. If you are currently running version 1.2, there isn't really a need to upgrade to version 1.3 as nothing else really changed. But, if you are running an older vesion of PodPlus and want to get this new version, you will need a new license key. You can get a license key to work with the new one from the Support page.
- This is a rather big change to the licensing infrastructure, so please contact me immediately via the Support form if you have any trouble with the new licensing system.
Released: February 12, 2006
- All plugins now written using UTF-8 encoding - All the plugins now write data to the iPod using UTF-8 encoding. This gives it better support for accented characters often used non-US regions.
- Outlook items generating "specified cast is not valid" errors - The Outlook plugins would sometimes generate "specified cast is not valid" errors when displaying the information in the preview window and/or when syncrhonizing with an iPod. This has been resolved in this version.
- Missing Outlook data - Under some conditions, all the information for some Outlook data (calendars, contacts, tasks, etc) would not display when viewed on the iPod. This has been resolved.
Released: January 15, 2006
- Help file always stays on top of the PodPlus window - In prior version, the PodPlus Help file would always stay on top of the main PodPlus window. This made it difficult to keep the help file open and operate PodPlus at the same time. This has been changed in this version so the help file no longer forces itself on top of all other windows.
- Added Region setting preference - There is now a Region setting in the Preferences window. This allows changing which region PodPlus will use to format dates. Normally, this should be set to the same region that Windows is set to.
- PodPlus and all plugins are now signed with a "strong name" - To increase security, PodPlus and all the associated plugins are now digitally signed with what is known as a "strong name". This increases security by making the PodPlus files immune to modification by hackers. If somebody makes an unauthorized change (such as adding a virus) to any of the PodPlus files, PodPlus will then refuse to run.
- Outlook Appointment not all moved to iPod - If Windows is setup with a region other than "English (United States)", it was likely that some Outlook appointments wouldn't get copied to the iPod. This was due to variations in date formats in other regions. In this version, there is now a Region setting in the Preferences window that allows changing which region PodPlus will use to format dates.
Released: January 6, 2006
- Outlook Appointment notes not being displayed on iPod when Location field has a value - In prior versions, if an Outlook appointment had a value in the Location field, the appointment note body was not being displayed on the iPod. This has been fixed in this version.
- Outlook Contact notes not being transferred to iPod - Due to a recent change, contact notes were no longer being copied to the iPod. This version fixes this.
- Recurring Outlook Appointments not always displaying on iPod - With recurring appointments, if PodPlus was setup to save the appointments as individual files on the iPod, some of the recurring appointments would not be displayed on the iPod. This has been resolved in this version.
- Outlook plugin preview list getting cleared after sync - After syncing with an iPod, the Preview pane was being cleared for some Outlook items when it shouldn't have been cleared. This has been resolved in this version.
Released: December 4, 2005
- New Feature: Driving Directions - A new plugin has been added to get driving directions on your iPod for locations in the United States and Canada.
- Contacts now includes photos -The Outlook Contact plugin now supports photos. If the contact in Outlook as a photo associated with it, that photo will now be copied to the iPod and displayed alongside their contact information. Currently, only the new 5G/video iPods support this.
- Better support for non-English characters - Changes have been made to use an encoding format that better supports non-English characters such as Ö, Ø, and Å.
- Contacts failing to sync correctly if that contact has a certificate associated with it - In prior versions, if an Outlook contact had a certificate associated with it (a security feature) the contact would not get displayed on the iPod. With this version, contacts with certificates will now work fine.
Released: November 13, 2005
- Scrollbar disappearing at bottom of Playlist Transfer Plugin window - In the Playlist Transfer plugin, the vertical scroll bar was disappearing behind the bottom of the window. This resulted in not being able to view the last items in the list of playlists.
- Scrollbars disabled until window resized in the song list windows - In any of the plugin windows that display the list of songs on the iPod, the scrollbars were not being enabled until the form was resized.
- Occassional errors of "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object" during an automated sync - Under some situations during an automated synchronization process, an "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object" error would be generated.
- The new 5G (video) iPods are now properly identified on the "iPod Information" plugin - Since the older versions of PodPlus didn't know about the new 5G iPods, it was reporting them as the original 1G iPod.
- New UK and Ireland cinema showtime plugin - A new plugin has been added to get showtimes for cinemas in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- Weather plugin now indicates it works for other countries besides the USA - The weather plugin was labeled as such to indicate it only worked for locations in the USA. But, it actually works for locations in the USA, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Brazil and Latin America as well.
Released: September 26, 2005
- RSS News Feed plugin not removing data from iPod - The function to remove data from the iPod for the RSS News Feed plugin was not working
- "Remove All Data from iPod" function not working - The "Remove All Data from iPod" function was not doing anything at all
- "Sync All" function only syncing current category of plugins - The "Sync All" function was only synchronizing the plugins displayed for the current plugin category - this has been fixed so now all plugins in all categories are synchronized
- "Unable to read beyond end of stream" error - On some iPods (found on some nanos) it was possible that the application would generate an error reading "Unable to read beyond the end of stream."
Released: September 20, 2005
- This version adds support for the iPod nano
- iPod eject - It used to sometimes cause the application to lockup
- Outlook Tasks - Tasks were not formatted properly to display on the iPod so no tasks would show up on the iPod
- Saving plugin settings - Plugin settings would not always get saved
- Date format error on some RSS news feeds - Some news feeds would generate a "date format" error
- "Unable to modify playlist" error - When attempting to add tracks to a smart playlists, an "unable to modify playlist" error would be displayed
- Canadian movie showtimes not showing theaters for some cities - The showtime plugin for Canada would not show the theaters for some cities
- Outlook tasks and calendars not always displaying on iPod - Some Outlook tasks and calendar appointments would not get displayed on the iPod
Released: September 6, 2005
- Initial version of PodPlus is now available.